Sunday, September 19, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Although, though, even though, in spite of, despite

Although (Although + subject + verb)
  • Although it rained a lot, they enjoyed their vacations
  • Although the traffic was bad we arrived on time
  • I didn't get the job although I had the necessary qualifications
  • I couldn't sleep although I was very tired
  • I couldn't sleep though I was very tired
  • Even though I was very angry, I didn't shout to them
Notes
  • In spoken English we often use though instead of although
  • Sometimes we use even though as an stronger form of although


In spite of / Despite (In spite of / DespiteNoun or pronoun or -ing)
  • In spite of / Despite the rain, they enjoyed their vacations
  • In spite of / Despite what I said yesterday, I still love you
  • I didn't get the job in spite of / despite having the necessary qualifications
  • In spite of / Despite the traffic, we arrive on time
  • I couldn't sleep in spite of / despite being very tired
Notes
  • After in spite of / despite we can add the words "the fact that" to allow us connect the whole sentence with a subject followed by a verb:
    • In spite of the fact that it rained a lot, we enjoyed our vacations.
    • In spite of the fact that I had the necessary qualifications, I didn't get the job.
    • Despite the fact I was very tired, I couldn't sleep very well

No comments:

Post a Comment